Thursday, March 25, 2010

whole wheat strawberry shortcake

I have been trying not to do so many desserts around here since James has been doing so well losing weight and all and I hate to think that I am sabotaging him.
So when I was feeling like an easy light dessert, shortcake came to mind, especially since we had just got some really delicious strawberries from Costco.

So I made some whole wheat shortcake muffins with sweetened strawberries and whipped cream.
You could bake it as a cake or without liners but I had just got these super cute cupcake liners (along with a few other cute designs also) from this Etsy site, and couldn't resist baking the shortcake in them :)

Just look at how cute those liners are!! You cannot find those at walmart!

Whole Wheat Shortcake:
4 eggs, separated
3/4 cup sugar, divided*
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup oil
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pound (about 2 cups) fresh strawberries, washed and sliced
1 cup whipping cream
1 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
 
In a large bowl with electric mixer at high speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Continue beating at high speed and add 1/4 cup sugar, about 2 tablespoonfuls at a time. Beat well after each addition, until sugar is completely dissolved and egg whites stand in stiff peaks.

In another mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the egg yolks, flour, water, oil (I used equal parts applesauce), baking powder, vanilla, and 1/2 cup of sugar. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the flour mixture into the beaten egg whites until completely blended. Pour into 9 inch pan or muffin pan

Bake cake at 325 degrees for about 40 minutes or 18 minutes for muffins or until  the top of the cake springs back when lightly touched with finger and cake tests done. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before removing from pan. The cake will sink slightly as it cools.

I just used whipped cream and tossed some cut up strawberries with a little bit of sugar and there you have a perfect light dessert! They were so light and airy and the kids actually loved these more than a usual cupcake I make!

2 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

Can't wait to make these, we had shortcat the other night, but just the regular angel food cake, it was good, but these sound even better.Want to try the banana one also. Really am ready for the house to sell, so I can have all my kitchen things handy.

March 26, 2010 at 4:40 PM  
Blogger *~McGarys~* said...

Well since I kinda of know you I thought that I would say hi. I love your Blog already! I love baking! Not as fancy as you but I LOVE IT! we might have to bake sometime together and let are kids play:)

April 12, 2010 at 9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home