Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Eggplant Parmesan

I have always wanted to try eggplant Parmesan, and finally got the courage to try it. It was pretty good, I don't think I picked a great eggplant and will definitely try it again with a better one (once I figure out how to pick one!!)

James loved this and raved about it (I take it as a compliment if he tells the guys out at work about how good it was)

I took ideas from a bunch of different eggplant recipes and this is what I got.

2 eggplants peeled and thinly sliced

2 beaten eggs in small bowl

3 cups panko crumbs seasoned with a little salt, pepper, garlic, and Italian seasoning

3 cups Italian blend cheese (divided)

Sauce:

1 tablespoon olive oil
half sweet onion chopped
2 cloves or 2 tsp minced garlic
1 14.5 ounce can peeled and diced tomatoes (I like petite diced)
1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
3 Tbsp white sugar
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco

3 Tbsp seedless blackberry or raspberry jam (weird, I know)

In a saucepan bring to a boil all ingredients for the marinara sauce and let simmer for 30 minutes while you are preparing the eggplant.

Dredge eggplant in eggs then through crumbs. On a baking sheet, put eggplant under broiler for 3-5 minutes on each side, just until lightly browned.

Put a layer on bottom of 9x13 pan. Pour 3 cups sauce over eggplant, then cover with 1 cup cheese and repeat the layers ending in cheese.

Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.




1 Comments:

Blogger Kritta22 said...

Me no likey eggplant..it's just a different texture, weird in my mouth! It looks good though.

November 5, 2008 at 3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home