Saturday, March 29, 2008

The creations

Well, they are done! Heather and I did two cakes in one week! We both decided that we won't be doing that again anytime soon, but we had so much fun doing it. Both were so different. The first cake was a cake for a guy's wife who is coming home from Iraq. We had a lot of fun making it. If I could do it again I would definitely make the red stripes thicker or at least have more of them. James loved the bottom of the cake, he thought we got the colors perfect.

So after we got done with the Patriotic cake, the plan was to do the couch right after. But by almost 11:00 at night we called it good and decided to do the other cake the next day. Here is the story. A guy was selling his couch, a lady called and wanted to buy it, so when she goes over there to pick it up the two fall madly deeply in love and get married.....I thought they still had the couch, but I guess they sold it recently. The guy asked James if Heather and I could make a cake resembling the couch (picture below) for a party they were having. The couch is kind of the thing that brought them together. The wife thought it was hilarious!! It was so funny to see her face :) So here is a picture the guy gave us to go off of, and then pictures of what we came up with.



The couch cake was our hardest cake so far. It was a lot of detail work, it kept us thinking. I loved doing it though. Don't let the pictures fool you either, this cake was a monster...it was like 18-20 inches long and so thick!! Although I love making all types of cake, I think the theme cakes and ones that have stories behind them are my favorite now.
So I know Heather did this on her blog a while back but how much would you charge for these cakes? We have been having a hard time being able to come to decision on a certain number. What would you charge or what would you pay?

8 Comments:

Blogger tharker said...

You two are amazing! You guys did such a good job. I LOVE the couch! Even the pillows are perfect. The story of the couple falling in love all starting with a couch is awesome.

March 30, 2008 at 3:25 PM  
Blogger Matt 'n Erin said...

will you go look for the phone in the places you found it in your dream? I bet you will find it!

March 30, 2008 at 3:52 PM  
Blogger Ms. Kristen said...

You both are amazing!

March 31, 2008 at 6:24 PM  
Blogger The Price Family said...

What an amazing talent you have. I love the cakes! If we lived closer I would have you make one for my boys b-days. Check out Treys train cake I made for his b-day you will get a good laugh!
Jodi

March 31, 2008 at 8:08 PM  
Blogger polka dots said...

I am so impressed with your talent. Can't wait to see what kind of cake you do next.

PS: I have your bowl. I will get it to you.

March 31, 2008 at 9:53 PM  
Blogger AOlson said...

WOW! Truly talented ladies! I am a Food Network Junkie and LOVE to watch Ace of Cakes!! You guys are just as good as they are! Amazing. I know they charged like thousands for their cakes. I am sure whatever you decide to charge will be fair. They are so good and I am sure they take a lot of work. My wedding cake was huge. It was eight round cakes. Four in the center in a tower kinda with a fountain undeneath and a small tower on each side of two cakes each. It was just buttercream and I know we paid like $250-$300. You could so charge that or more!

April 1, 2008 at 2:12 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Kate, your cakes are amazing. I love looking at all your pictures. If I lived closer I'd totally recruit you to make a cake for my baby's first birthday. You are so talented!

April 2, 2008 at 9:19 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Wow those are amazing! I am so jealous. What talent. I have no idea how much I would pay or charge :( My first guess would be 75 for the couch and 50 for the patriotic?

April 5, 2008 at 9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home