Thursday, July 17, 2008

Nainamo Bars


**This post is dedicated to my great Sister in law Rachel who is the biggest fan I know of Nanaimo Bars. She has asked for the recipe many times, and sadly, I don't think I ever got it to her.**
So I guess it wasn't very nice of me to share info about such a wonderful dessert and then not share the recipe. :)

So here is the recipe I use. There is a bit of prep work.....but it is OH so worth it.

Bottom layer:
1/2 cup butter
1/4cup sugar
5 T cocoa
1 egg beaten
1 3/4 c graham cracker crumbs
1/2 c finely chopped almonds
1 cup coconut

Melt first 3 in a double boiler.

After fully melted, add beaten egg while stirring constantly until thickened.


Remove from heat and add rest of ingredients. Press into a 9x13 pan.

Middle layer:

1/2cup butter

2T cream (I use milk) if you want to be able to leave these out of the fridge, you can use water...it just may not be as rich.
2 T vanilla custard powder (since I cannot find the brand I use to use, I have started using just Instant vanilla pudding powder in its place and nobody can tell the difference)
2 cups powdered sugar
**If you like a lot of filling like I do, I recommend doubling the recipe**

Cream until fluffy. Spread evenly across bottom layer.


Top layer:
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup shortening

Melt in microwave stirring every 20 seconds until totally melted. Cool slightly and pour over middle layer. Put in fridge until chocolate is firm.

I am not going to say "I hope you enjoy them!" because I know you will. So I am just going to say....
Don't eat too many in one sitting!

6 Comments:

Blogger tharker said...

Yummmy! Thank you for the recipe Katie!

July 17, 2008 at 7:02 PM  
Blogger rsautter said...

Katie - You are the best! My mouth is watering just looking at those bars from heaven!!! I will try and make them, but they will always taste better when you make them :)

Rachel :)

July 17, 2008 at 11:15 PM  
Blogger Kaylene said...

OH, you're in so much trouble! Or rather me now that I'm going to be craving all this yummy stuff! LOL!

July 18, 2008 at 1:35 PM  
Blogger Carson, Trisha, and the Mancub said...

Hey Katie this is Trisha Tara's sister, I just wanted to say your cakes are amazing and I am excited to try this recipe!

July 20, 2008 at 9:08 PM  
Blogger Ms. Kristen said...

Oooohhhhh....sounds delious! I will have to try them!

July 21, 2008 at 8:49 AM  
Blogger My Sweet & Saucy said...

These look great! So nice to meet a fellow Christian blogger too!

July 21, 2008 at 4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home